Atlantic City has many FREE activities and attractions that will add value to your group trip. Thunder Over the Boardwalk, our signature airshow, weekly in season entertainment on the Boardwalk and of course our free and protected white sandy beaches! Below is a list of ideas just waiting to be explored.
Free Things to Do
DO FREE IN AC
- Atlantic City Beaches – no beach fees (a rarity in NJ)
- The Atlantic City Airshow "Thunder Over the Boardwalk" blasts through the skies and is one of the most popular free things to do in New Jersey.
- The AC Boardwalk is the perfect place to stroll anytime, or ride bicycles (May 15 through September 30 from 6:30am to 10:00am, October 30 through May 14 from 6:00am to 11:00am and 4:00pm to 7:00pm)
- Korean War Memorial Honors the contribution made to help gain freedoms for both the U.S. and South Korea, and Civil Rights Garden symbolizing the passion of the human spirit.
- Wind Farm Tours - ACUA (Atlantic County Utilities Authority) offers free open house tours of the New Jersey-Atlantic Wind Farm from July 10th to September 1st every Monday and Friday at 12 pm.
- Balic Winery in Mays Landing has free wine tastings 7 days a week
- Bass Pro Shops - Bass Pro Shops has a 13,000 gallon fresh water fish tank featuring fish found in and around New Jersey and murals depicting wildlife and natural scenes from the Atlantic City region.
- Boardwalk Hall Pipe Organ Tour and Recital - Boardwalk Hall houses the largest musical instrument on earth. More powerful than a dozen orchestras, it can both whisper and thunder into the 5.5 million cubic feet of air space in the main arena.
- DO AC Boardwalk Summer Entertainment - Kennedy Plaza is once again abuzz with daily entertainment. From Broadway stars performing show tunes to party bands, jazz concerts and more there is something for everyone and extended into September.
- Gardner’s Basin Concerts – Historic Gardner's Basin offers an all-star lineup of some of the most soulful entertainers of the 70's and 80's. The festivities include local food and merchandise vendors.
- Historic Smithville and Village Greene - This historic village offers more than 40 unique shops, wonderful dining, lodging, a train, a carousel, paddle boats, festivals and live music.
- Movies Under the Stars - Bring a chair or blanket, a soft drink and popcorn and enjoy a free evening out. The movies are rated for family viewing.
- Mural Tour - Use this map to take a tour of over 50 murals created by local, regional, and global artists as part of the 48 Blocks AC program a division of the Atlantic City Arts Foundation.
- The Atlantic City Experience - Located in the lobby of Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall explore the history of Atlantic City via a dynamic and vibrant exhibit located steps off the boardwalk.
- World War I Memorial - Located at South Albany and Ventnor Avenues the memorial built in 1922 to honor World War I veterans from Atlantic City houses a 9 foot tall bronze statue "Liberty in Distress".
DO $10 AND UNDER
- Absecon Lighthouse - Tallest lighthouse in New Jersey - open for climbing 228 steps to the top
- Atlantic City Aquarium - Ocean oddities, sharks, sea anemones and more at Gardner's Basin
- Bicycle rentals - Permitted on the Boardwalk between 6:00 am and 10am daily May through September. Extended hours October through April.
- Boardwalk Arcades - A roll of quarters goes a long way at Central Pier or Playcade arcades
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge - 43,000 acres of protected coastal habitat and nature trails in Galloway, New Jersey
- Historic Cold Spring Village - Open-air hands-on Early American living history museum in Cape May County
- Lucy the Elephant - Restored giant historic landmark first built in 1884, open for tours in Margate, New Jersey
- Marine Mammal Stranding Center - Rescues and rehabilitates stranded mammals and sea turtles in Brigantine, New Jersey
- Miniature Golf - 18 holes of world-class mini golf at AC's premier course on the Boardwalk at Mississippi
- Noyes Museum of Art - Fine art, crafts and folk art exhibits with a focus on the mid-Atlantic region
- Rainforest Café - Part tropical rainforest, part restaurant, with sweet treats for the kids for under $5!
- Rolling chair ride - See the Boardwalk sites being pushed by an attendant (fee based on distance)
- Skate Zone - Cool off on the Flyers Skate Zone ice rink as you skate or play ice hockey
- Tram rides on the Boardwalk - low cost alternative to getting around on the Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum - Working maritime museum with folk artisans and entertainment in Tuckerton, New Jersey
- Wetlands Institute - Guided beach walks, back bay boat rides, kayaking, animal shows and more in Cape May County
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center - Glass, ceramic, flamework, woodcarving artists at work in Millville, New Jersey.
- Chicken Bone Beach Concert Series - July 14th, 28th and August 3rd,11th, 25th
DO $20 AND UNDER
- AC Cruises - Back bay cruises, dolphin-watching trips or sunset happy hour cruises aboard Cruisin' 1
- A.J. Meerwald - NJ's Official Tall Ship offers sailing trips and classes while in Atlantic City waters
- Great American Trolley Tours - Take one of GA's fun trolley tours of the Jersey Shore
- IMAX Theater at Tropicana - Sit back, relax and enjoy a larger-than-life movie releases
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Popular odditorium and museum of weirdness for kids of all ages
- Steel Pier - AC's landmark amusement pier on the Boardwalk with thrill rides and games of chance
- Storybook Land - Just outside of AC (and just over $20), amusement park based on nursery rhymes